Re: [xmca] Numbers - Natural or Real?

David,

I agree that play is important and your examples are good ones. My own
background in secondary teaching has incorporated a lot of play in maths
teaching using the ideas of Seymour Papert ("Mindstorms", logo), Idit Harel
(Children Designers) etc.

I am now teaching Australian aboriginal students of secondary school age but
primary school skills. eg. two students I taught last Thursday could not
halve  numbers beginning with an odd number, eg. 54. When I asked them how
many twos in five they said none. In the end to help them I had to draw 5
dots on a piece of paper and circle two lots of twos.

One thing I realised a little while back was that Papert, for all his great
work, did not provide much advice about numbers. Your initial suggestions
about playing with fractions initially and a game to follow up are helpful
in this regard.

I'd also be interested in the thoughts of anyone here about the Devlin
article.