From: Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
Subject: Re: [xmca] Numbers - Natural or Real?
To: "Huw Lloyd" <huw.softdesigns@gmail.com>
Cc: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Friday, July 1, 2011, 5:54 PM

Well Huw, both the advocates of one or other method whose links I quoted believe there is a significant difference in choice of basic unit, and certainly from the point of view of the subject matter itself there is a difference: the concept of cardinal number is different from the concept of ordinal number, even though the non-mathematical adult probably never notices it. That distinction was one of the delightful insighsts I got from reading Anna's book. I knew the difference, but I just never reflected on it as something a child has to learn.

I guess (apart from my question about foundations which I am hoping the experience of a maths teacher will shed light on) I am still working through my lived experience of discovering that the 14 year old kids I was teaching in 1975 who could add, subtract, multiply and even divide, had no concept of numbers as representing quantity, and never knew which arithmetical procedure to use in which practical situation outside of a small range of repeatedly rehearsed scenarios. That is, after 8 years of British public education, they had still not made the leap talked about in the Devlin article, which forms the beginning in Davydov's approach.

Andy