Re: [xmca] Vygotsky's Sunbeam and Lewin's Overcoat

Yes, at risk of adding more length, I have to apologize for the length of the messages. Unfortunately, it's just not true that MCA belongs to xmca; it's far truer that xmca exists to expiate the sins of MCA editors. :)

Take a look at this, from Tool and Sign:

"Because of this circumstance the possibility arises of combining in a single field of attention a figure of the future situation comprised of elements of the past and present sensory fields. In this way, the field of attention, thus, covers not one perception, but a whole series of potential perceptions, which form a general dynamic successive structure over time. The transition from the simultaneous structure of the visual field to the successive structure of the dynamic field of attention is accomplished as a result of reconstruction, on the basis of the inclusion of speech, of all the basic connections between the separate functions, which participate in the operation: the field of attention is separated from the field of perception and is unfolded over time, including the immediate situation as one of the moments of a dynamic series."

This paragraph is an almost pure example of Vygotsky's Gestalt period: it has "the field", and implicitly the "vector" that Lewin talked about. Now, it's true that there is also some chatter about the importance of speech in transposing a spatial field to a temporal one. But it's basically unconvincing chatter, which is why it goes on and on and on and on.

When Vygotsky and Luria begin to repeat obsessively and overuse words like "indubitable", "undoubted", "utterly obvious", etc, you can tell that there is some nagging problem under it all.

Sure enough, the problem is that this kind of cinematic explosion of the Galton photograph into a moving picture, is no way specifically human: it exists where ever animals observe and adapt to motion. Motion is not conceivable without it.

I think that the inclusion of the FUTURE in the PRESENT (e.g. the use of modals like "wanna" and "gonna" and "will") is less representational, and thus more developmentally urgent, than the inclusion of the PAST in the present (e.g. the past tense and perfective tenses).

That's why future tenses tend to develop before past tenses, whether we are talking about first or second language acquisition. But the future can still be visualized, and in fact we usually do so on the basis of the past  (e.g. seeing a toy car enter a tunnel and expecting it to emerge from the other side).

But I don't think that's why Vygotsky changed his mind about the role of speech in creating a field of action. I think that the whole system of genetic laws of "Outside In" and "Two Before One" (that is, the external, objective relation before the internal, subjective one, and the intermental before the intramental) doesn't work if you imagine that speech does nothing more than transfer an intra-mental spatially distributed perception into another intra-mental temporally distributed one.

It only works if we understand the sign as something qualitatively different from Galton's photographs and Lewin's movie footage: something that exists for two before it exists for one. But if the sign exists for the other BEFORE it exists for me, then its origins can hardly lie in my perceptions.

That's why Vygotsky says that the leap from the perceptual to the nonperceptual is quite literally a salto mortale (or rather a salto vitale); it is every bit as large as the leap from nonliving to living matter.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education