From: Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
Subject: Re: [xmca] perception
To: "Larry Purss" <lpscholar2@gmail.com>
Cc: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Friday, June 24, 2011, 7:35 AM

Larry do I read you correctly, that you are advocated "binocular vision," seeing both from whole to part and from part to whole?
OK, that's a point. There are indeed contexts in which a process proceeds in that way. "The absolute is also relative."
But also "There is an absolute within the relative." A neuroscientific understanding of the psyche must *still* begin from the whole.

Andy

Larry Purss wrote:
> Hi Andy
>  I want to add on to your comment
>  It intrigues me the doggedness of the prejudice of analytical
> philosophy, going back centuries and right up to the present day, that
> perception and indeed the Universe itself, begins with arbitrarily small
> individual chunks and composes the whole from there up, bit by bit. And
> there is no basis in fact for the prejudice at all. I could cite Liberal
> and bourgeois ideology, I suppose, but even then it seems difficult to
> accept.
>  Lawrence Hass in his book about Merleau-Ponty talks about this theme when he talks about analyzing living perception through neuroscientific explanations.  Hass takes the stance that analytic explanations are always derivative from the totality of lived perception.  One must experience the gestalen before proceeding to analyze it.  Analytic explanations are always ABOUT experience.  However he makes an important point that it does not follow from this stance that 2nd order constructions are IDEAL of a MORE ORIGINAL reality.  The sense-data atomistic perspective of much of science is ideal. BUT for Hass the nerves and synapses ARE REAL and modular brain FUNCTIONS are explanations of the real. Analysis can tell us about the real. However, analysis always constucts THIS particular PERSPECTIVE, as a form of discourse, [way of thinking, speaking, and working] which is always PARTIAL, always LIMITED,  always BOUND to a perspective.  The
 neurobiological perspective IS real but NOT MORE REAL than living perception.  At an ontological level perception [lived experience or neurobiology]is always BOUND TO PERSPECTIVES that are always partial and partial. [This is to keep in mind our culture's bias or "prejudice" against prejudice is also bound to a particular perspective]  Hass, used the metaphor of BInocular vision to elaborate this point.[Merleau-Ponty and Bateson both used this metaphor] Every monocular vision is partial and looking out of one eye gives a REAL but partial perception.  Each eye gives a partial perspective on the world.  Neither of these partial monocular visions can be compared with the BInocular gestalen vision that has more depth and clarity than either of the monocular visions. MEANING from either monocular vision and meaning from binocular vision are different FORMS of recognition.  Merleau-Ponty's project is to explore these differences.