Re: [xmca] Units of Scientiic Achievement

On 20 June 2011 11:11, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> I have just re-read Kuhn's "Structure of Scientific Revolutions" after many
> years. As is often the case with a classic like this, it proved to be a lot
> more nuanced than its reception (or my memory of it).
> One of the lines which struck me was this: "the unit of scientific
> achievement is the solved problem." (p. 169)
> In the context of Vygotsky's writing on true concepts and the meaning he
> gives to "unit" this is very profound. Reading Kuhn from Vygotsky I find
> very productive.
>
> Andy

My (vague) recollection was that Kuhn's focus on paradigms (perhaps lifted
from something he wrote after TSOSR) was of exemplar methods rather than of
philosophy and knowledge frameworks.  However, the friction/vested
interested of those who have mastered particular skills remains significant
(applicable to all forms of labour).

My assumption was that this exemplar focus was based on the convergence
induced by the "relativity" paradigm (the relational logic, not the
content), a paradigm I infer Vygotsky was approaching through Marxism.

Huw