Re: [xmca] Re: Using the term institution in a very broad sense

thanks, Martin

This quotation also concerns what I see as a difference between matters semiological (in this case, grammar) and psychological.

I think there's a slight overstatement, though, in saying that ""grammars and psychological processes have no more than the loose relationships they appear, in fact, to have."

While linguists might be able to construct artificial grammars that could structure linguistic communication in a non-human population whose psychological processing is different from our own, only a grammar that can be processed by our human psychological apparatus could function as a real grammar in a real human language.

The obverse is that a psychological apparatus must be capable of processing some semiosically adequate grammar if it is to function as the psychological apparatus for members of a language-using species.

Language and other institutions may be said to "define and evaluate" (not cause) the behavior and action of individuals, but only if "define" is understood to include things like "afford and constrain."