Re: [xmca] Word Meaning and Action

Nice point, Denise. Funnily enough, as your message came through just as I was reading a passage in Thomas Kuhn's "Scientific Revolutions" in which he talked about "translating" from one system to the other, and I was sitting here wondering what that would entail in this particular dispute. So, your point is right on the spot for me.

But I think the point is that this question of whether thought is an entity existing in the head, or an activity in which people engage, is just one of a million questions in which we can either take something as an entity and ask questions about where it is and what are its properties, its relations to other things, and so on, OR we can take it as an activity and a different set of questions flow. For example, we can divide the world into a subjective world and an objective world and still say all the same things we can say with a vocabulary of activities, but ... and this is the point ... history has proved (as I see it) that viewing the world as made up of entities, which are either objective or subjective, leads to problems, for example, how to correlate the things on one side of the subject-object divide with the things on the other. Are they the same? If so, in what way? Surely this is what Michael was referring to?

Now that view of the world, as subject-things and object-things, continues, and we still manage to live, communicate and do science together. But I am of a view that we could do all these things much more satisfactorily with a view of the world as formed by human activities which are subjective-objective. I accept that there are different views, and different legitimate readings of Vygotsky. At this point though I think we should at least aim for mutual understanding (if not conversion) rather than settling for dismissing the differences as "a nice story".

But at the moment I am being asked to prove that my reading of Vygotsky is legitimate.

Andy

Denise Newnham wrote:
I hope that you don't mind me butting in. I wanted to write several times
but had some urgent work to attend to. I think that the main lines of this
argument split hairs and Michael  I tend to agree with you. Mike Cole
mentioned awhile back that he thought that word meaning was a tool to form
concepts (hope I remember correctly) Andy spoke of action and to be quite
honest I defy someone to be able to show when these two notions can be
empirically revealed. If they cannot then it is just a nice story. What do
you think?

Denise