Re: [xmca] Word Meaning and Concept

Thanks, Peter. I think it's a good theory. It certainly obeys the "Outside In" principle of development we see in the chapters leading up to the "Inside out" principle of deployment in Chapter Seven. It also fits the FIRST language acquisition data I'm looking at on video right now.

Hayeon is ten months old and Subin is twenty. They are both very interested in objects (books are for dropping, and food is for mouthing rather than eating; people are quite useful for getting access to objects). Neither one is interested in formulating utterances, although they both can register understandings with expressive sounds.

But Hayeon's mother uses a GREAT DEAL of high pitched speech, much of which is ventriloquating the child's imaginary speech (most of which is onomatapoiec or what in Korean is called "ouitaeeo" which are expressions that have an indexical rather than symbolic relationship to movement, e.g. "flip flop" or "smash, crash, bash").

Most of her high pitched speech is speech FOR the child rather than TO the child. You can actually SEE the different registers of "for the child" and "to the child" on a pitch graph; at this stage it is true that language is "vocal sounds", as Joseph Gilbert said.

Subin's mother uses very little high pitched speech and instead marks her speech FOR rather than TO the child grammatically (by using honorific speech to address adults, and by omitting first person pronouns, and using a lot of verb markers that suggest introspection or self-directed speech).

What's the difference? Well, Hayeon has no external speech at all. So I think that Hayeon's mommy assumes that Hayeon does not really have inner speech as speech, and only expresses affective states of various kinds. Subin appears to know something about vocabulary, but nothing at all about grammar; she can say single words and manages some pretty good strings of vowels and consonants (but without any real meaning beyond their intonation). So I think Subin's mom assumes that there is inner speech there, at least as a receptive vehicle.

At the risk of stepping into crossfire--it seems to me that your idea that inner speech is still involved in adult comprehension suggests EITHER:

a) analysis of external speech into inner speech is practically instantaneous and involuntary, or,

b) contrariwise, it is FULLY voluntary and in fact OPTIONAL. The different "planes" of speech are actually like the areas of a stage, just as Professor Veresov said (like Dr. Yasnitsky, I remain an agnostic on "kategoriia").

That is, we MAY move the action on the inner plane to the inner plane of thinking or we MAY move it to the outer plane of speech, for all the mind is a stage, and the mental functions within it are merely players.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education