Re: [xmca] catharsis and category

DISCLAIMER: Andy (privately) asked me to comment on this issue, so here it, and
please forgive my intrusion. Frankly, I am not too much in the context of your
discussion, but from what I somewhat superficially gather, the discussion is
about the two words -- category and catharsis -- and how they apply to Vygotsky.

CATEGORY is a really very weird word that appears in the formulation of the
so-called "general" or "main" law of human development in Vygotsky's History of
Development of Higher Mental/Psychological Functions. As far as I remember,
Nikolai Veresov has built a long line of discussion of arguably Vygotsky's idea
of, roughly, "psychology as drama" on the basis of his interpretation of this
word in this specific Vygotsky's text as a "dramatic collision". I had been long
thinking about Veresov's argument before I came to final conclusion that I do
not buy this story of "drama" and "collision" of Vygotsky. The reasons are:

* I have been looking for a dictionary -- a contemporary or an older one -- that
would support Veresov's claim that category obviously meant a "collision", but I
failed to verify it. Not to mention the fact that this claim does look quite ...
how should I put ... novel for me, a university-educated person with a degree in
Humanities, more specifically, in Languages and Literary Studies. Thus, to me
"category" in Russian is just the same it is in English: Russian "category"
means a... "category" -- surprise, surprise! :)

* in another text, written and -- way more importantly, unlike   History of
Development of Higher Mental/Psychological Functions -- published by Vygotsky,
Pedologiia Podrostka [Paedology of the Adolescent] (1931), he not only drops the
idea of one "main" law, but talks about 3 (three) laws that in my mind look more
like the description of the three stages of the historical development of
Vygotsky's theory rather than the three consecutive laws of human development (I
believe it is clear that the two are not the same). Incidentally, this fragment
from Paedology book was published in the six-volume collection in Russian and,
thus, translated into English, so -- feel free to check it out

* then, in this work of 1931 Vygotsky preserved his earlier "main law" although,
as far as I remember, reformulated it as the second law, and in almost identical
phrasing as the one that can be found in the History of Development of Higher
Mental/Psychological Functions no reference to any "category" is given. To me,
this means that the word was not important to him and can hardly be considered
as a term

* Finally, the manuscript of   History of Development of Higher
Mental/Psychological Functions itself, as our recent and ongoing study shows,
(a) was never titled this way by Vygotsky, (b) was not on the lists of his "most
important works" that Vygotsky compiled on a couple of occasions, and even I
would claim (c) was fabricated by the editors of the 1982-84 edition of the
six-volume Vygotsky's Collected Works, unwittingly translated into English "as
is" by Plenum Publishers in 1980-1990s

All this makes me think that we can easily disregard the word CATEGORY as it
applies to Vygotsky and quit speculating on this topic.

I will be way briefer on the topic of CATHARSIS. From what I remember from
University courses in Classics, coming from the Greek word for "white", the term
quite prominently features in Aristotle (and everywhere else after *magister
dixit*), and also appears in Vygotsky's Psychology of Art. The work is
interesting indeed, yet, written mostly during pre-Moscow period of Vygotsky,
i.e. mostly likely in Gomel' in 1917-1924 (and, possibly, somewhat polished in
Moscow in 1924-1925), it is hardly related to any any "cultural-historical"
psychology that is of interest to us as long as Vygotsky's theory is concerned.
Also, one has to keep it in mind that Vygotsky of the Psychology of Art uses the
term quite idiosyncratically, and seems to be trying to maneuver between
contemporary psychological, physiological, and literary theories at the same
time. Therefore, I would also let CATHARSIS rest in peace in Vygotsky's
discourse "where it naturally belongs", namely, the discourse of the Psychology
of Art of 1925-26. Quite indicative is the fact that the word never appears in
Chapter 7 (the last one) of Vygotsky's Thinking and Speech (1934) where he
seemingly returns to the discussion of the topics of literature, art -- in the
context of psychological research on ... well, see the title: thinking and
speech.

These are just my two cents,
Cheers,
AY