Re: [xmca] fetishism | word meaning

On 10 June 2011 00:14, Joseph Gilbert <joeg4us@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Huw:
> Do you suppose that there is any, or do you experience any, relationship
> between any particular phone, when heard, and a particular feeling-reaction.

Yes, I do suppose.

> If we admit that there is no perception without being affected by the thing
> perceived, then phones must affect us. So, what is the effect of a given
> phone?

Fear of phone spam in my case.

> Are we affected identically by all phones or differently by different
> phones?

Differently, for me.

> What is the mechanism of non-verbal, vocal communication in humans and
> other species?

My hypothesis is that it is various degrees of dialogical appreciation,
dependent on the sophistication of the nervous system.

> If we are, in fact, affected feeling-wise by our specific phones, then how
> is our subliminal perception of things affected by the vocal sounds we use
> to refer to them?

I'd say that the tone (timbre) of our sounds is, to some degree, a function
of our affect, etc.

There are more subtleties, ofcourse.  In a particular mood, particular
images (including words) will come to mind.

>        I see that the preponderance of spoken language's communicative
> function takes place subconsciously. Do you recognize or look for the
> subconscious effects on us of the sounds we use to form our spoken words?

On occasion.

>        On a personal note, do you sense any arrogance in your reply to my
> last e-mail?

No.  Mostly clarity.  Take care though, Joseph.  Some people find it very
easy to project their experiences.

> First you identify yourselves as "scientists and schlors".

No.  I identified.  Note that this list is not comprehensive.  Here be
scholars and scientists doesn't exclude readers and those of curious minds.

I think this kind of error is making things difficult for you, Joseph.

Very well. So you are... I already knew that. Therefore, what? I am
> heartened to hear you refer to your group as "A well meaning and thoughtful
> bunch". That is something we all should strive for. Were you saying that I
> was "inflicting you with help"? Were you saying that I was not being
> "precise" enough for the purposes of this exchange? Finally, I was not
> intentionally aksing questions, but rather sharing thoughts on a subject
> with which you seemingly deal. A questioner/requester, in the your context,
> is a supplicant. Are you suggesting that I assume that role here?

None other than the basic protocol of genuine assistance.  Without good
feedback that is sought out, we're lost.

>        As a matter of personal curiouity; what answers were you seeking
> that caused you to pursue these studies?

Pretty much as it says on the members list.

>        I was looking to understand how we are, as a species, affected by
> our spoken language, - our culture.

There's plenty to wonder about there.   It's obviously something you have
lots of energy for.

Huw