Re: [xmca] fetishism | word meaning

Huw:
Do you suppose that there is any, or do you experience any, relationship between any particular phone, when heard, and a particular feeling-reaction. If we admit that there is no perception without being affected by the thing perceived, then phones must affect us. So, what is the effect of a given phone? Are we affected identically by all phones or differently by different phones? What is the mechanism of non-verbal, vocal communication in humans and other species? If we are, in fact, affected feeling-wise by our specific phones, then how is our subliminal perception of things affected by the vocal sounds we use to refer to them? I see that the preponderance of spoken language's communicative function takes place subconsciously. Do you recognize or look for the subconscious effects on us of the sounds we use to form our spoken words? On a personal note, do you sense any arrogance in your reply to my last e-mail? First you identify yourselves as "scientists and schlors". Very well. So you are... I already knew that. Therefore, what? I am heartened to hear you refer to your group as "A well meaning and thoughtful bunch". That is something we all should strive for. Were you saying that I was "inflicting you with help"? Were you saying that I was not being "precise" enough for the purposes of this exchange? Finally, I was not intentionally aksing questions, but rather sharing thoughts on a subject with which you seemingly deal. A questioner/requester, in the your context, is a supplicant. Are you suggesting that I assume that role here? As a matter of personal curiouity; what answers were you seeking that caused you to pursue these studies? I was looking to understand how we are, as a species, affected by our spoken language, - our culture.

		J. Gilbert