Re: [xmca] fetishism | word meaning

On 7 June 2011 16:27, Joseph Gilbert <joeg4us@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Words are vocal sounds. Vocal sounds are meaningful.

I think you have an elision here, Joseph.

If you take "are" as the plural of "is", you're effectively saying:

"A word is a sound, sound is meaningful."

Hence you appear to be conflating the relation of equivalence with
aggregation:

(Spoken) Words are (composed of) vocal sounds.

Just as you might say "Pyramids are (composed of) stone"  rather than
"Pyramids are buildings".

Huw