Re: [xmca] crisis at age 17

In the passage to which David Kel kindly drew my attention, Vygotsky basically says that he has not yet figured out the nature of the Crisis at 17, or more precisely really, the crisis which marks the End of the "transitional period" and the passage to adulthood. But reading on, I think he is being too modest.

We all know from T&S that thinking in concepts is not attained until adolescence. Well, the first half of Volume 5 of the LSV CW has a collection of articles on the development of the Mental Functions in adolescence which make his point much clearer. It is not just that thinking in concepts does not arrive until adolescence, but **thinking in concepts is the leading neoformation of adolesence**. That is, conceptual thinking reorganises and restructures the emotions, attention, self-consciousness, will - everything. The psyche of the youth becomes a concrete concept.

At the conclusion of the chapter on "Development of the Higher Mental Functions during the Transitional Age," Vygotsky caps it all off with a 3-page discourse on Hegel's /Science of Logic/ as a metaphor for the development of the human personality. He does this of course, not directly, but by means of quotations recycled from Deborin, Lenin and Engels, all of which highlights those passages of Hegel where Hegel talks of the personality as a concept, and the arrival of adulthood and entry into social life as corresponding to the Concept (the 3rd book of the Logic). Pity Vygotsky died so young.

All the writers, including those whose work xmca has just been discussing under the heading of moral development, seem to agree that the crisis which marks the end of adolesence is the very act of taking up a place in adult society, choosing a vocation, or as I would say, adopting a project(s).

In the excellent and very helpful chapter of Mike Cole's book on Child Development, chapter 16, which deals with this period, we find descriptions of the struggle of the youth to establish an identity. This happens, according to Vygotsky, simultaneously with them forming a concept of the world, shaped and instantiated by their activity as part of some social class. In just one passage, Mike refers to this as "self-concept." Usually, in this period of individualism, we call it "identity," but self-concept is a far superior conception of oneself-in-the-world, I believe.

So it seems to me that the crowning concept of Vygotsky's theory development of the human being is the development of the person as a concept, aka and identity or self-concept, inseparably from an ideological view of the world instantiated by participation in a project, be that a profession, a family or a political or religious movement (including divergent selves in different domains, different projects). It is the way this enormous step, from childhood dependency to active responsibility for procreation both biological and phylogenetic, which hangs like the Sword of Damocles over the youth, at just a time when their entire physiology, interests and psyche is being totally disorganised by the arrival of sexuality. These are the facts that make adolesence such a stormy and troublesome time.

Any thoughts?
Andy

ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org wrote:
With regard to its form, the logical has three sides: (a) the side of abstraction or of the understanding, (ß) the dialectical or negatively rational side, [and] (?) the speculative or positively rational one. (EL § 79)

I pulled this off of this website: http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/seminars/paulhegel.htm

I dare say that this is the 17 year old's crisis and consequently becomes an individual's synthesis of life, meaning and all that. As Bob Dylan wrote, "I was so much older than, I'm younger than that now." At 17 a person has been provided the world's potential without any consequences (for the most part, of course there are exceptions) and has yet to embark upon their practical life. Consider the soldier as poet, the scientist as mechanic, the engineer as lumberjack and perhaps this is a bit of insight into the 17 year old's crisis.

comparing apples to oranges?

eric