Re: [xmca] Interests and tendency during adolescence

On 13 May 2011 13:46, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> Is there anyone who has looked into this idea of "interest" in the
> development of the adolescent? I have started reading Volume 5 of the LSV CW
> and the first chapter is very interesting. I have not come across exactly
> this idea before. He says: "a transformation of tendency into interest is
> the true key to the problem of the transitional age." His argumentation
> leading to this conclusion rings very true, to my ears. Is there anyone on
> the list who has worked further with this idea of "interest." So much of
> this chapter is quotation of other authors, it is not 100% clear which ideas
> Vygotsky embraces. But it seems that upbringing shapes a person according to
> tendency (with habits etc.) but then the adolescent appropriates from their
> environment interests which form the basis of their adult personality, not
> extinguishing the tendency acquired by upbringing, but distinct from it.

Hi Andy.  I find it helpful to think of interests as the reciprocal of needs
(motives), and how these needs are met.  Obviously both are moving targets
with respect to development.  However, considering personality as habitual
behaviours that structure a person's/child's activity, starting with
needs/motives expressed in the object of activity we can see, for example,
how reflection (i.e. introverted behaviour through dialogical appreciation)
may become a useful functional component in identifying and meeting those
needs.

I've not tuck into v5 yet.  Still chipping away with the time available.

Huw