Re: [xmca] last on concepts

Martin - I'd be more than happy to pay your 2 cents back with at least a penny for more of your thoughts! LOL

Thanks for you summary of Ch 4, which is where I am especially puzzled about some things.

Some questions I am pondering:

1) .... What are the four moments you are referring to in Ch 2 ...

2) .... When Vygotsky talks about "what is commonly called practical intellect" v1 p 115 as being included in the "large range of thinking that has no direct relationship to verbal thinking," what are your thoughts on how Vygotsky might have responded to the following question:

a) Is this the same kind of mental operation or "practical intellect" that humans share with the higher animals? If it is, then

b) doesn't human labor require more than just practical intellect, since human social production requires more than what Vygotsky considered animal social communication?

I may have my wires crossed somewhere in there.

Vygotsky himself of course makes part of this point on p 48 when he says "Human speech ... [is] ... a system that emerged with the need to interact socially in the labor process."

So my question, asked a different way, is exactly what kind of thinking is Vygotsky referring to - and not referring to - when he says "There is a large range of thinking that has no direct relationship to verbal thinking. In this category, we could include the instrumental and technical thinking that has been described by Buhler and what is commonly called practical intellect." v1 p 115

3) .... Prior to those sentences is Vygotsky's description of the convergence of thinking and speech as two circles intersecting.

I have question about that diagram - do I have his scheme right - verbal thinking occupies the intersecting area, and pre-intellectual speech is represented by the remaining area of one of the circles, and pre-speech thought is represented by the remaining area of the other ... v1, page 115. Is that what Vygotsky meant?

4) .... If that is what Vygotsky intended, where do non-verbal sign- mediated forms of communication fit onto that diagram? I am referring to non-verbal, sign-mediated forms of communication such as music, diagrams, etc.

5) .... On the Capuchin monkeys and other marvelous examples of animal intellect and intra- and inter-species cultural exchange - there seems little room for doubt that Kohler and Vygotsky's explanations about the limitations of animal tool-use are way out of date and need serious revising. These aspects have actually been out of date for some decades now.

My fifth penny for your thoughts, Martin, and anyone's: while they certainly change what we know about animal **tool** use, including the use of planned operations, what reasons might these discoveries give Vygotsky, or someone following his line of reasoning, to dispute what LSV said about **sign** systems?

For example, when Vygotsky says:

"... social interaction mediated by anything other than speech or another sign system -- social interaction of the kind that occurs frequently in non-human animals for example -- is extremely primitive and limited." v1 p 48

and, when discussing Kohler's research with chimps, LSV says:

[Human] "Speech requires another type of intellectual operation, *not one of the type or degree* that is present in the chimpanzee. Nothing that we know of the chimpanzee's behavior indicates the presence of this type of operation." v1 p 107

.... is there now new information that indicates that any animals **in the wild** besides hominids have developed and use what Vygotsky would have called a "sign system?"

6) .... And related to that - oops, I'm up to six pennies now, will stop here - do you or anyone view our experiences with Washoe, and now Koko - (thanks to all for the recent video links, some of it was new to me) - not to mention swearing parrots and the millions and millions of pets, and trained and domesticated animals that have been highly integrated in human society for many years now - in your opinion, do these remarkable animals - and their amazing trainers and caregivers - give us **new reasons** to dispute (or agree) with Vygotsky's essential differentiation between animal and human communication?

- Steve