From: Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu>
Subject: Re: [xmca] last on concepts
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sunday, May 8, 2011, 6:52 PM

Perhaps this is as good a moment as any to raise some general questions about spatial metaphor in LSV. I've struggled with his various uses of 'inner' and 'outer,' and I feel comfortable when he uses them to describe the different kinds of relations among a totality versus an aggregate.

But 'inner' and 'outer' also seem to be used in the sense of more psychological and less. And in chapter 7 we have the proposal that speech is outer and then all the rest (plans or planes or birds or whatever) are increasingly inner. Until we get to the "final step," which is the "undercurrent" or "subtext," the desire and volition that stand "behind" (or, confusingly, sometimes "next to") speech. Motivation is, we are told, "the last and most concealed internal plane of verbal thinking."

I do have some trouble with this. As Colin said, our most significant motives derive from our social relations, and arguably are out there *in* those social relations, not tucked deep inside us. I think I have an easier time reading someone's motives in their actions than I do their thoughts. But perhaps I'm being too modular? (It wouldn't be for the first time!)

Martin