From: Jay Lemke [mailto:jaylemke@umich.edu]
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:21 AM
To: annasfar@math.msu.edu; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] activity (was concepts)

Anna and Vera,

I think it makes a lot of sense that adult differentiations into cultural abstractions do not yet exist for young children, and I certainly believe that the developmental origin of whatever it is we're trying to mean when speaking of "concepts" begins with action routines, particularly with simple, repeatable routines.

Of course, as with all things developmental, this never entirely goes away. It is not superseded or replaced, but added to, layered over, and its functioning altered by the later developments. Not just in mathematics, but also in natural science, there is a strong tradition (in recent times associated with Bridgman, but he's not the only one by far) of "operational definition" of scientific "concepts": their meaning inheres in the sequences of procedures and operations used to measure them as quantities (the narrow version) or to make them observable (the broader version, more associated with quantum mechanics, and interestlngly quite like Latour's view).

Some of my own work on the nature of scientific concepts has argued that they are essentially multi-modal: verbal discourses, visual and symbolic representations, and actional procedures. In all these respects concept-mediated processes are actions, procedures, or something more flexible for which we don't quite have good terminology I think. Strategies-for-doing, or Tools-and-strategies-for-doing ... something along those lines.

What use would count numbers be if they didn't have implied procedures, like adding them or counting up to them? it is the relationship between the procedure and the "concept" that I think is what most needs to be better understood and articulated. We need to go beyond terms like "mediation" to say just what does bring a concept to life as functional activity.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Senior Research Scientist
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
University of California - San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, California 92093-0506

Professor (Adjunct status 2009-11)