From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of Jay Lemke
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2011 9:22 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] concepts

Thanks, Monica, for these thoughts and questions. It's been a busy week and
I am just working my way through more xmca postings.

One possible suggestion for getting at some of your questions about how much
authentic meaning-making is going on in kids writing is to broaden the
mediating means -- what happens if they try to connect their written texts
with drawing pictures? or enacting a playlet? or building something? While
there are some aspects of meaning-making that are bound to particular sign
systems, in general I think the sort of flexible meaning-making we associate
with conceptual understanding crosses over from one to another, or more
subtly, it flows through and among them. When we restrict our meaning-making
artificially to just one medium (or one genre, or one topic) it becomes much
harder to tell the difference between rote and living meanings.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Senior Research Scientist
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
University of California - San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, California 92093-0506

Professor (Adjunct status 2009-11)