Re: [xmca] concepts

Andy, I've found an equivalent to your quote on p 118 of Vol 1, in Ch 4.4 (last full paragraph). Also, in Ch 3, passages on p 94-95 make some of these points. Where does the quote you cite appear?

I'd like to learn more about how Frege viewed object relatedness and how it compares to Vygotsky's view.

Your reference to what seems to be a description of Vygotsky's view of the "external structure" of the word as referring to objects got my attention. I may be misunderstanding you. In the quote you provide, Vygotsky is not talking about the nature of the word but how the young child thinks and speaks. In Vygotsky's view, the young child is able to apply the principle of object relatedness, but does not yet differentiate either word meaning from the object or the meaning of the word from its sound form.

As for what Vygotsky referred to as the "external aspects" of the spoken word, he was talking about things like the word's sound form. He considered a word's object relatedness to be an "internal" semantic function (in unity with the signifying function), not part of its "external" aspect. It can take some close reading and re-reading to keep all this straight!

Here are some quotes I happen to have copied out from LSV CW Vol 1 on some of these questions:

1. The distinction between meaning and object relatedness was very important in Vygotsky's conception of word meaning.

" ... in what is commonly called word meaning, we must distinguish two features. These are the meaning of the expression in the true sense of the word and its function as a name which relates to a particular object, that is, its object relatedness." Vol 1 p 152

2. This distinction played a key role in Vygotsky's analysis of how children thought, including his description of pseudoconcepts, the predominate form of complexive thinking.

"The child's word may correspond with the adult's in object relatedness, but not in meaning." p 153

3. The external, auditory aspect of speech is distinct from the inner, semantic aspect.

“Though they form a unity, the inner, meaningful, semantic aspect of speech is associated with different laws of movement than its external, auditory aspect. The unity of speech is complex, not homogeneous.” p 250

4. Vygotsky viewed the semantic structure of a word as a unity of object relatedness and meaning, which he saw as different kinds of entities. (One graphic way to conceive the difference is to think of object relatedness as pointing and naming, and meaning or signifying as grasping.)

"In our analysis of the word's semantic structure, we distinguished between its object relatedness and its meaning. We tried to show that the two do not coincide. In functional terms, this caused us to differentiate the word's indicative and nominative function from its signifying function." p 254-5

5&6. These next two quotes repeat the point Vygotsky made in the quote Andy provided, that the young child considers a word to be a property of the object it refers to. The child does not initially differentiate between word meaning and object. Vygotsky believed the child also does not initially differentiate between word-meanings and word-sounds.

"The child does not initially differentiate between word meaning and the object nor between the meaning and the sound form of the word. In development, this differentiation occurs in accordance with the development of generalization." p 255

"Initially, we have only object relatedness in the structure of the word. The word's function is exclusively indicative and nominative. Meaning independent of object relatedness, signification independent of the indication and naming of the object, arises later ..." p 255

- Steve