Re: [xmca] sense and sensibility

This from Morris’ dissertation: Symbolism and reality: a study in the nature of mind.

“The essay will aim to show that thought and mind are not entities, nor even processes involving a psychical substance distinguishable from the rest of reality, but are explicable as the functioning of parts of the experience of an organism as symbols to that organism of other parts of experience. Being then the symbolic portion *of* experience, the psychical or mental can neither be sharply opposed to the rest of experience, nor identified with the whole of experience. And since experience will be shown to be a portion of reality, it follows that mind and reality can never be utterly separated nor indiscriminately identified” (3-4)