Re: [xmca] spontaneous concepts indeed

On 26 April 2011 23:14, David H Kirshner <dkirsh@lsu.edu> wrote:

> Okay, I'm going to throw my 2 cents into the concepts ring.
>
> I'm sympathetic to those who've expressed skepticism about the utility of
> concept as an analytic construct.
> Nevertheless, I teach entire courses devoted to development of math
> concepts; I find the notion of concept indispensable to preparing effective
> mathematics educators. Instrumentally, what's relevant is concept
> development. We're always talking about how intuitive concepts can be
> transformed into more sophisticated concepts through certain kinds of
> experiences (either occurring spontaneously, or as orchestrated
> instructionally).

In the context of self-directed/spontaneous learning intuition is a key
concern.  Although coming to a scientific conceptual appre of intuition
entails quite a journey.

> Importantly, these experiences are theorized intramentally as involving
> feedback loops between expectations and results of actions. Piagetian
> notions of accommodation and assimilation come into play.
>
> My point isn't that sociocultural notions of concept as indexed to the
> culture are incorrect or unreasonable.

How about scientific concepts emerging in a scientific culture?

> Indeed, a comprehensive sociocultural psychology has to come to grips with
> concepts, eventually reconciling the divergent ontogenetic and sociogenetic
> perspectives. But after so many dozens of emails devoted to articulating
> this program, I thought it would be refreshing to offer an escape into
> paradigmatic divergence. "Concept," narrowly defined in intramental terms,
> is a really useful construct to inform the genre of teaching involving
> concept development. Reciprocally, a narrow sociocultural theorization of
> enculturation into the practices of a cultural community is invaluable for
> informing the pedagogical project of acquiring valued dispositions through
> cultural participation. It's the ever-roiling program of theoretical
> synthesis that's so darn problematic for purposes of informing educational
> practice.
>
> As baseball legend Yogi Berra put it, "In theory there is no difference
> between theory and practice, but in practice there is." :)

I'm guessing he didn't use maps very often, or was subject to "teachers"
that didn't distinguish between the map and the territory.  That's doesn't
sound like a very good theory, or model, which I guess was his point.

Huw