Re: [xmca] discourse and unit

AN Leontyev occasionally does talk about units, including in this piece, which is why I was quite qualified in what I said. Leontyev's son said in 2006:

   “Throughout, even within the framework of activity theory itself, an
   ambiguous understanding of the units and levels of activity
   organization can be seen. ... As is well known, A.N. Leontyev does
   not provide an explicit definition of it; as a rule, he puts the
   term “unit” within quotation marks, and in so doing, “determines”
   it. And this is justified: after all, as it applies to his point of
   view, the concept of unit has little applicability to activity,
   action, or operation, since it presumes their /discrete /nature. ...
   In A.N. Leontyev’s conception, the only thing that can be called a
   “unit” in the strict sense is activity (an activity act).” "‘Units’
   and Levels of Activity,"/ Journal of Russian and East European
   Psychology/, vol. 44, no. 3: 30-46, M. E. Sharpe.

It is not, for me, that ANL didn't have units in his work, but that his method is not /based/ on this idea. I think AAL's words are not completely correct actually, but it does reflect a problem in ANL's work. Operations are amenable to an analysis by units; Actions is the domain already dealt with by Vygotsky; Activity needs an analysis by units, but I think ANL did not have a clear view of what an analysis by units of this domain entailed.

Andy

mike cole wrote:
Andy--

How do we interpret the following in light of your reply to Monica?
mike
Leontiev defines activity as
“..the non-additive, molar unit of life for material, corporeal subject…. It is the unit of life that is mediated by mental reflection. The real function of this unit is to orient the subject in the world of objects. In other words, activity is not reaction or aggregate of reactions, but a system with its own structure, its own internal transformations, and its own development.” (Leontiev, 1981: p.46)
In contrast