RE: [xmca] activity (was concepts)

i've got multiple responses here, Andy -

Michael G. responded to Mike C's request about why the additional names - that it seems that this thread is fraying. (my interpretation)

as for your nervous system example - i really can't answer that question with any expertise - i've always understood that your multiple physical systems were integrated, interactive, and mutually dependent.  hence, they're all open systems.  and certainly the human body is an open systems - its responds and interacts with systems outside of itself - viruses, tornadoes, bacteria, etc., not to mention cultural psychology - which is one of our many tools.

Michael G. also posited the value of feedback - which i find totally consistent with Peter's example of how anticipation is strengthened and clarified when emerging from conceptual coherence.  and, this, by the way, i find quite commensurate with Mike C's understanding of prolepsis, a weighty component of cultural psychology.

as a teacher who works with adults who are learning to teach, i value greatly attention paid to feed-back - someone learning to teach, or even an experienced teacher, who is not mindful of feedback in its myriad of forms - i.e., chairs flying across the room, compliance, glee, frustration, etc. - is usually not very successful as a teacher.

so, while activity theory as elucidated by Tolman is described as a linear process, i would say is actually a far more recursive process  -

and i guess that in this very brief posting i've piled concept upon concept!  argggghhhhhhhhh.  in other words, it seems as if we use within a community like ours in which there is so much shared understandings - not to mention misunderstandings - that we refer to concepts as a form of short-hand communication.

i'm probably not much help here.

Mike C - is there a particular direction you're hoping for this multi-variant thread on concepts/activity to be going?

phillip

Phillip White, PhD
University of Colorado Denver
School of Education