Re: [xmca] collaborative notes and wiki during AERA

Mark,

Thanks for sharing the link, and for getting this ball rolling.

For those who do not know we were going back and forth on Twitter trying to
figure out a system for collaborative note-taking. In the past it has just
been Twitter but these notes are short and not connected to the program.

We next tried Google SideWiki ( a cool toolbar that allows you to save notes
on a webpage for anyone to see). This would have worked and we were going to
use the notes attached to the public program. However, sidewiki was not
accessible on mobile browsers or tablets and requires a tool bar install.

So we settled on suggesting taking rough notes on gDocs and then formalizing
the notes on the wiki.

It would be nice for organizers to be thinking about collaborative
note-taking in long term planning and building apps that allow for
previewing programs as well as public notes.

Mark, as someone missing the conference. The wiki has been a wonderful
resource. It is also interesting to see how many more folks are on Twitter
this year compared to last.

Greg

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Totally cool, Mark.
> I look forward to reading in on it, being unable to be there.
> mike
>
> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Mark Chen <markchen@u.washington.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > If anyone cannot make the meeting or anyone who is here and would like to
> > participate in collective note taking, there is a google doc:
> >

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-K0dT3NkwBCFK-pavBs0_pM7TJr1hv-4WGXJLxfT6GU/edit?hl=en&authkey=COKZzssK
> >
> > and a wiki:
> > http://aera2011.wikia.com/wiki/AERA2011_Wiki
> >
> > associated with the conference. Now, if only we had reliable wifi or 3G.
> :)
> >
> > thanks,
> > mark
> > --
> > Mark Chen | @mcdanger | markdangerchen.net
> > Post-Doctoral Scholar | Games Ethnographer
> > LIFE Center | UW Institute for Science and Math Education
> > This was sent from a PC with a full-size keyboard; misspellings and
> brevity
> > are entirely my fault.

J. Gregory McVerry
Neag Fellow
University of Connecticut
New Literacies Research Lab
http://newliteracies.uconn.edu
twitter: jgmac1106

"Literature, in this spirit, is an instrument of freedom, lightness,
imagination, and yes, reason. It is our only hope against the long gray
night"-Bruner