From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of Jenna McWilliams
Sent: Tue 3/29/2011 12:37 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [xmca] on queering Digital Media and Learning

Several members of this listserv attended the recent MacArthur
Foundation-sponsored Digital Media & Learning Conference in Long
Beach, California. During and since the conference, I've been involved
in conversations about a notable lack of queer studies-focused work in
this year's program. Some of this conversation is accessible online,
on danah boyd's blog and on mine. (Links: http://www.jennamcwilliams.com/2011/03/28/some-thoughts-on-queering-dml
  and http://www.zephoria.org/thoughts/archives/2011/03/24/the-politics-of-queering-anything.html.)

Most of the people I've talked with about this issue come from the
"digital media" side of Digital Media & Learning, and I've been
wondering about folks who fall more on the "learning" side of things.
It seems to me that there's a general lack of attention given to
integrating queer studies work with learning theory and work in
educational research, though with a few (extremely notable)
exceptions. I wonder if xmca folks have thoughts on this issue that
might help me figure out the true lay of the land in this respect.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have. (And, of course, if
you WANTED to visit and comment on my blog and the conversation I've
been having with danah in the comments section there, I would
certainly not be offended by this.)

best to all,
jenna

~~

Jenna McWilliams
Learning Sciences Program, Indiana University
~
http://www.jennamcwilliams.com <http://www.jennamcwilliams.com/>
http://twitter.com/jennamcjenna

~