Re: [xmca] Human Sciences Scholar life?

Google "Tihomir Petrov AND urinate" and you'll fetch 8,500 results, which is more than 100 times the number of Google Scholar results attached to Petrov (73). And Peter, I do think Petrov may have had a broader (alleged) impact on his students and his field through his (alleged) actions than through his scholarly publications.

Recently, a disaffected fellow graduate student told me she wished someone had informed her of the high attrition rate for Ph.D. students before she decided to pursue graduate study. My response: Someone probably did tell her. Someone certainly told me--many people told me-- about the long, grim path of academia. We don't listen because of one very human characteristic: We think we're special. We think: it must be so sad for those students who do drop out before finishing their dissertations, for those academics who can't find jobs, for those scholars who can't figure out how to balance their priorities.

Hey, at least I'm having a really good time in my toils toward obscurity. To borrow a line, I get to visit exotic locales (like Scottsdale and Indianapolis!), meet interesting people (like Mike Cole and Jay Lemke!) and...well, never mind the rest.

~~

Jenna McWilliams
Learning Sciences Program, Indiana University
~
http://www.jennamcwilliams.com
http://twitter.com/jennamcjenna

~