Re: [xmca] Deb Roy: The birth of a word

Hi Lauren

Thanks for the articles posted to XMCA.  I am in over my head on this topic
so am reflecting from a position of heaps and complexes as I try to make
personal sense of this fascinating thread.  However, I have just read Roy's
article "Connecting Language to the World"  and I'm left wondering about
Mike's question, "HOW do we use the information generated by Roy's powerful
new techniques?"  Roy's fundamental inquiry is "How does language relate to
the world?"  He believes the way through is to build artificial intelligence
systems that are AUTOMATED and connect the symbolic world to the
non-symbolic world of sensory input and effector control. As he states this
is one of the great challenges of AI (p.10)  This great challenge requires
integrating various subfields of AI, including vision, robotics, pattern
analysis, knowledge representation, learning, and natural language
processing.

I'm wondering, as I read this ideal vision of artificial intelligence as the
way forward, if it is the best way to proceed. It seems to privilege
building automated systems  as the way to understand the links between
language and sensory experience.  In notions of automatic systems where do
we fit concepts such as "trust" as central to notions of going on together?
Are high levels of trust among participants in interactivity a factor in
creating ZPD and open communication?  Where do notions such as "trust"
within shared contexts fit into the ideal pursuit of artificial intelligence
as building automated systems which link language to the world of sensory
perception and motor behaviors?

As I mentioned, my background in artificial intelligence is at the level of
heaps and complexes so I have lots to learn and will keep reading this
thread.  However, Mike's question of HOW do we use the information generated
by Roy's technological instruments seems critical.

Larry