Re: [xmca] Deb Roy: The birth of a word

That is a fair point, Lauren. But it would be rhetorically stronger if you were to get us started!  ;)

Let's take a look, then, at "New Horizons in the Study of Child Language Acquisition."

First Roy taught a robot to segment recordings of naturally occurring speech and pair these segments with visual categories of objects, but realized that this approach "could never in principle learn the difference in meaning of “ball” versus “round” since both terms would be grounded in terms of the same perceptual category." This got him started on his baby study.

Now he has 230,000 hours of data (90,000 video, 140,000 audio) in "the Human Speechome Project." (Named, obviously, after the Human Genome Project, another massive investigation which it is often now said has not made good on its original aims.) With the new corpus he is aiming to feed a bunch of data into "a machine learner that embodies a computationally precise hypothesis of child language acquisition." The data will include machine word-level transcription, identification of speaker and prosody, based on the audio recordings, plus machine encoding of "what [participants] were doing and how (activity classification, manner analysis), and with what objects (object tracking and classification)," based on the video recordings.

Leaving aside how a computer can determine the appropriate level at which to describe what someone is doing, Roy at least recognizes that "A fundamental limitation of the framework is its implication that language learning wholly consists of passively processing sensory input," and apologizes for the fact that "The passive nature of the analysis framework reflects the inherent limitations of working with “dead data” – frozen records of human interactions."

And yet (David K.), he celebrates "the objective stance towards his development that the Speechome corpus enables me to take."

Here too, as in the presentation, I see lots of "amazing" claims, but these seem to me largely to be based on very dubious assumptions (some of which Roy recognizes, to give him credit) and to be largely promises about what will be achieved at some time in the future.

For example, the automated transcription process had errors of over 75%, so Roy's "BlitzScribe" system now feeds "sound bites" to a human transcriber. In other words, it enables human transcribers to type faster and, Roy claims, still with accuracy. But speaking as someone who has transcribed a lot of recordings of natural speech, I have questions about the accuracy inherent in an approach that deliberately eliminates spoken and nonverbal context.

It is also strange that Roy's data on "word birth" shows a curve very different from the exponential growth curves previously reported for vocabulary growth. Instead he finds a "shark's fin" curve, in which new words appear with increasing frequency up to 20 months, and then "word birth" then drops back dramatically through 24 months (where data-collection ended). Roy promises that "Further investigations will aim to explain the shape of the curve."

How about you, Lauren? What do you see of value?

Martin