[xmca] Deb Roy

Just a clarification: The point I wanted to make was that focusing only on phonology is telling just a small part of the story of language acquisition. I agree that there could not have been a concept present in the child's mind at the start of the process, but for researchers from the Chomsky perspective the child does have the concept water, even if it is pronounced ga-ga (Managua Lectures) because it is innately specified and therefore learning the phonology (and of course syntax) is all the child needs to learn.

jim

--
James P. Lantolf, Greer Professor in Language Acquisition
&  Applied Linguistics http://aplng.la.psu.edu/people/faculty.shtml#jpl