From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Arturo Escandon
Sent: mardi 15 mars 2011 10:15
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Japan

Hi Jay. Unfortunately your predictions and warnings are right. The
Japanese government and Tokyo Electric Co. have not been reporting
accurately about the facts. It was only after the French nuclear
security experts sounded the alarm that Tokyo started speaking the
truth.

I am so exhausted being so far away from Japan. I have been telling my
relatives near Fukushima to leave the area since 2 days ago but they
did not understand the situation (no critical thinking in Japan). Now,
it is almost impossible to get away.

My wife and son are OK. They are in Nagoya.

All the best.

Arturo Escandón

On 14 March 2011 14:26, Jay Lemke <jaylemke@umich.edu> wrote:
> It is indeed good to hear that so many members of this community in Japan are safe.
>
> I do not wish to be alarmist, but I am troubled by the reporting coming out of Japan concerning the nuclear reactors. It appears that neither the government nor the company running the reactors is providing the kind of details needed to back up their reassurances. And both have motives, political and financial, for downplaying what may be a more serious situation than they will admit.
>
> This is, of course, a familiar pattern (as with the Gulf Oil spill in the US, for example, and many other cases). The information that is coming out seems worrisome. Three reactors are functioning without proper cooling, at least two probably already have some melting of parts of their fuel rods. Using seawater to cool them is a desperation measure; it means there is no chance these reactors will ever function again. The pressure inside the reactors is very high, making it hard to pump in the water, and the pumps they are using are from fire-fighting equipment, which are not designed to press against the internal pressure in the reactor containment vessels. The gauges to indicate the water level in the reactor, and so how much of the rods is exposed and not being cooled (the condition for a more serious meltdown) are not functioning, so the process of pouring water on the reactor and releasing the resulting steam is happening largely blind.
>
> Altogether this suggests that every possible contingency must now go well to avoid a still more serious problem. Somehow that does not seem likely. I have read that there are warnings of a possible second quake. That would be very bad. Any serious mistake with the cool-down could lead to further melting and possible damage to the inner containment vessel.
>
> No one is saying how much fission by-products are being detected outside the reactors. No one is saying to what extent the rods have already melted. No one is talking about worst-case, or even worse-than-best-case scenarios. And no one, yet, seems to be talking about the longer term. It may not be possible to "clean-up" this situation, ever, even if there are only partially melted rods. I suppose there must be a plan for this contingency, but it's hard to imagine what it could be. Encase the reactor core in a giant block of steel and concrete and hope it never melts on its own or gets cracked open by another quake? Take it out to sea and dump it in a deep-ocean trench? We all know the difficulty of longterm containment of used fuel rods, even if they are not melted. What is the scenario for "disposal" of ones that are? What happened to them at Chernobyl? is it all still sitting there?
>
> I do hope people will think about these questions and ask for answers, and maintain a healthy skepticism towards official assurances, until we find out what's really going on.

> [...]

Arturo J Escandon
Associate Professor
Department of Spanish and Latin-American Studies
Nanzan University
18 Yamazato-cho, Showa-ku
Nagoya, 466-8673 JAPAN

Tel: +81 (52) 832 3111 (extension 3604)