Re: [xmca] Fwd: Speaking of Thinking: A Beginner's Guide to Hegel's Science of Logic

Hi Mike [and David Ki David Ke and Andy]

On page 5& 6 of the article on the "guide to Hegel" is a section on the
unconscious or natural logic.
This theme seems to parallel the discussion between D Ki & D Ke on the
distinctions between habituation and dispositions.  It also has parallels to
Lakoff &  Johnson's notion of the "cognitive unconscious"

Philip Jackson, in his guide to Hegel states,

"Those logical moves that we make without awareness, the ones that remain
concealed, Hegel labels "unconscious logic" or sometimes "natural logic". He
also at times speaks of such moves as being "instinctive".  His use of those
terms implies that we are somehow equipped by nature to behave in such ways,
yet it also suggests that such 'natural' uses of logic are quite limited,
i.e., that logic in its fuller sense can also be CONSCIOUSLY employed and
perhaps raised to a HABITUAL level of consciousness that would strike most
people as UNnatural.

In the article Jackson points out that thinking IS categorization and that
the act of naming as a form of classification is basically syllogistic in
its structure.  The simple act of naming is seldom "seen" in this way. [ it
is natural or implicit]

Jackson suggests there is nothing wrong with implicit "seeing" [knowing] but
that it is limited. Jackson states,

"When natural logic is relied on excessively, the human mind is dulled. It
stands on the threshold of thinking BUT remains too timid to break through
to higher levels of thought and begin to think reflectively."

As I read this I was thinking og David Ki's genres & also Lakoff & Johnson's
"cognitive unconscious"

Larry