[xmca] RE: Thinking and speaking different things simultaneously

I can't answer this question, but would like to invite your daughter to apply to our Ph.D. program. p

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Eijck, M.W. van
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:53 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [xmca] Thinking and speaking different things simultaneously

Yesterday my 8 year old daughter asked me an intriguing question. She wondered whether it is possible to say something out loud and to think (by inner speech--not images) something different simultaneously. We tried this in practice but we did not succeed in assessing whether we were actually able to do it. As far as I could assess, it appeared to me that the speaking and the thinking are not really occurring simultaneously but are following  up each other very swiftly. Actually, from both Vygotskyan and neurolinguistic developmental perspectives I think it is impossible to say something out loud and to think something different simultaneously, but I am not 100% certain.

What do you think?

Michiel