Re: [xmca] Folk Psychology from a narrative perspective

Yes, I appreciate your comments as well Greg.

 I only have one thing to add and LSV might appreciate this.

My grand daughter was saying "It was an accident" when she was 3.  :-)

Robert

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:17 AM, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> An interesting elaboration of the idea of the retrospective construction of
> meaning, Greg. I had not thought about it in these terms before.
> mike
>
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Gregory Allan Thompson <
> gathomps@uchicago.edu> wrote:
>
> > Yes, and the insistence on ascribing motive to practice starts early. My
> > favorite is the parent that looks at his two year old who has just torn
> half
> > the pages out of a cherished book of his (substitute lipstick all over
> the
> > dining room table or paint on the new carpet) and chastises the child
> "Why
> > did you do that?" or better "What were you thinking?"
> >
> > As if the child has some complex motivation and thought behind what they
> > did. The child can only stare back in shock wondering what is happening.
> >
> > But there is important work being done in those ridiculous questions. Put
> > together enough of these moments and by the time they are 7 or so, they
> get
> > it - "It was an accident" and "I didn't mean to do it" become stock
> > fully competent at manipulating the situation, intentions and all, e.g.
> "I
> > was trying to help my sister... and...". For each event, they are able to
> > reconstruct a philosophy of the act, so to speak.
> >
> > -greg
> >

> > >------------------------------
> > >
> > >Message: 2
> > >Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:53:27 -0600
> > >From: "David H Kirshner" <dkirsh@lsu.edu>
> > >Subject: RE: [xmca] Folk Psychology from a narrative perspective
> > >To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
> > >
> > >As with Tollefsen, who reviewed Hutto's book, I'm not quite sure what
> > >kinds of specialized narrative practices are supposed to be needed to
> > >establish our folk psychology's rational ascriptions. The ascription of
> > >motive to behavior is ubiquitous. Admittedly, it may take one a long
> > >time to get good at ascribing particular motives to particular actions.
> > >But our social/cultural frame demands such ascription, so presumably we
> > >all are going to get a lot of practice.
> > >
> > >It is one thing to look to narrative as a site for development of a
> > >particular cultural practice--the folk psychology ascription of
> > >motives--quite another to associate narrative with the fundamental
> > >process of enculturation, itself. My approach to enculturation does not
> > >take narrativization of one's identity as fundamental. That only kicks
> > >in in the specialized process of "acculturation"--intentional emulation
> > >of cultural practices to fulfill goals of cultural membership. But
> > >enculturation functions more fundamentally as a spontaneous adaption to
> > >the culture in which one is enmeshed.
> > >
> > >David

*Robert Lake  Ed.D.
*Assistant Professor
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-5125
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA  30460

 *Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
midwife.*
*-*John Dewey.