From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu]
On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2011 11:08 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Community Art Center: A Vision of Community
Regeneration

David-- As I suspect you know, the heuristic "netiquette" of xmca more
or
less adheres to the idea that participants should try to be relevant to
what
they understand the interests of the group to be. And that is sort of
circumscribed by the idea of an Xtended discussion of mind, culture, and
activity. David Ke's followup note indicates you were right on and
relevant
to someone "here." The infusion of art into our discussions seems xactly
right to me.

mike
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:49 PM, David H Kirshner <dkirsh@lsu.edu>
wrote:

> Mike,
>

> I've not recently read through XMCA's Manual of Web Etiquette J but I
hope
> this is an acceptable use of our shared space.
>

> XMCA colleagues, I would like to alert you to an initiative being
launched
> by a former colleague of mine, Kaustuv Roy.
>

> Kaustuv left LSU in 2008 on the verge of getting tenure (he has two
books)
> in order to move back to India to be in solidarity with oppressed
peoples.
> Two years later, he's determined a course of action and has decided to
> invest himself in using art as ameliorative to the social
disintegration of
> impoverished communities. (Please see the attached 2-page preamble to
his
> application to register a non-profit Community Arts Center.)
>

> During his 5 years at LSU, I had the pleasure of many conversations
with
> Kaustuv, and learned something of the apocalyptic vision of our social
and
> political disintegration that was growing within him, eventually
expressed
> in his 2008 book Neighborhoods of the Plantation: War, Politics and
> Education (

https://www.sensepublishers.com/product_info.php?products_id=536&osCsid=
1a7).