Re: [xmca] Leading activities and central lines of development

Hi Mike
The article posted was very helpful.
In your elaboration of the metaphor of scaffolding you wrote, "To capture
the important way in which adult understanding of goals structures the
sequence of activities, we would need to add architects and foremen to the
building process that scaffolding indexes."
This was a powerful image for clarifying the scaffolding metaphor.

On p.56 of the article you are summarizing the outcomes of a child [Kalani]
participating in a playworld.  You wrote,

"He moved from being able to perform a task with help, to being able to
perform a task alone, to being able to help a peer. He moved from REJECTING
adult help to INITIATING requests for it and even to accepting it
nonchalantly. At the time that his behavior could be said to be random or at
least not controlled by arithmetic concepts, he was also quite fidgety and
paid attention to whatever else was going on in the room.  He even left the
scene from time to time.  When he was succeeding, he stayed on task and had
to be reminded when it was time to leave."

Mike, when I read this paragraph I recognize the movement [e-motion] of
children INITIATING requests for adult engagement [and the adults
responding] as a foundamental aspect of zo-peds. This captures the
dialogical emergence of what Andy refers to as "collaborative projects".  My
phrase from attachment frameworks  says you must "collect the child before
you direct the child" Play and learning interpsychological [intersubjective]
processes points to zo-peds as containers or spaces which are transforming
through time.

As I work in schools [as control structures] I believe the adults must
become more sensitive to the child who is rejecting adult help. [attachment
theory and the centrality of affiliation explores this theme].  Our behavior
models, mental health models, and cognitive conceptual models  must bring to
the forefront this fundamental recognition of "initiating adult guidance" as
the development of emerging agentic capacity [volitonal control or
self-determination] within collaborative zo-peds.

Larry