RE: [xmca] FW: The Shadow Scholar - He writes your students' papers.

And I can also confirm that this extends to submissions to peer reviewed journals, too. I have had the experience of receiving a paper which was noticeably more lucid than the email which accompanied it, a quick bit of googling revealed that the paper was the work of a student at a UK university where the submitter had been working as a visiting academic.

Rod

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Robert Lake
Sent: 10 January 2011 01:20
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] FW: The Shadow Scholar - He writes your students' papers.

I can verify that from my experience last semester.

With one student I suspected because of an obvious misuse of future tense in
a paper, Google worked,,,,,, Turnitin missed it.

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Nancy Mack <nancy.mack@wright.edu> wrote:

> There are significant problems with commercial plagiarism checkers.
> There are studies that indicate that a simple google search for a unique
> phrase is more accurate and is free.
> See this study
> http://wac.colostate.edu/journal/vol20/gillis.pdf
>
> The National Council of Teachers of English website has several better
> resources for issues of plagiarism. Here is just one resource:
> http://www.ncte.org/magazine/archives/122871/
>
> Turnitin is very expensive. School districts are being pressured to buy
> this service. Some teachers are using these policing mechanisms rather than
> teaching students effective ways to use direct citation. Moreover, citation
> practices do vary from discipline to discipline.
>
> Nancy
>
> Nancy Mack
>
> Professor of English
> Wright State University
>
> http://www.wright.edu/~nancy.mack

*Robert Lake  Ed.D.
*Assistant Professor
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-5125
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA  30460

 *Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
midwife.*
*-*John Dewey.