Re: [xmca] Concept of Activity

Hi Andy

As I mentioned I "think out loud" and through discourse try to clarify my
point of view. In reading your article on the concept of activity I
interpreted activity as existing within a cultural space of artifacts such
as the deaf and blind girl who uses a spoon experiencing her first activity
which transforms her relations to material and social reality. The spoon
structures her biological actions  and tranforms these BASIC acts which
become activities.

Andy, lets try substituting the term "mammals" for "organisms" to approach
the level of sensory-motor perceptual acts [actions] as primary and basic
interactions with the world that are directed, intentional enactments.  When
we attempt to culturally "interpret" or "read" these mammalian biological,
perceptual actions AS IF they are activity  we are entering into language
games with concepts and cognition. The "embodied mind" tradition [see D.
Hutto]  suggests using terms such as "knowing" and "cognition" for this
level of cultural activity.  Now moving up the evolutionary scale, a case
can be made that "embodied mind" in its earliest formation [at birth] is not
cognitive but BECOMES cognitive with development as a process of activity
[in the interdisciplinary sense you articulate as both psychological and
social]

Andy, the term organism may be too general a term for biological life forms
that confuse my main point. By moving up to the level of "explaining" the
actions of dogs by giving reasons for actions [creating conceptual
explanations ] using terms such as "perceptually
directed intentionality" enters into a discourse tradition. This "embodied
mind" discourse is being elaborated by usinf terms such as "embodied mind"
or "primary intersubjectivity" as suggesting acts that are clearly actions
but can they be considered activity [from the perspective of the new born
HUMAN infant?

Larry