Re: [xmca] Imitation and the Zoped: Time to summarize?

Lois, Martin:

You both know a lot more Wittgenstein than I do. But everything I have ever read from him, from Tractatus through PE, seems very unfinished, and some of it quite contradictory. I think that's one reason it always seems to vibrate a little when you try to visualize it.

So I guess it's not surprising that there is some vibration when we add Vygotsky. In Chapter Five of T&S, Vygotsky mostly talks about generalization. But at the end of the chapter, and especially in Chapter Six, he also says that generalization is only ONE of the two roots of concept formation, and that by itself it will never lead to a true concept.

The other root is abstraction, and for Vygotsky abstraction does involve discriminating some qualities as superordinate and others as being subordinated; some are essential and others merely important. So on the face of it we have a clear contradiction between Wittgenstein the anti-essentialist and Vygotsky the essentialist.

Or do we? First of all, in Vygotsky what is subordinated to what is something that vibrates and develops: rote repetition (c.f. our recent discussion on copying and imitation) is a form of pre-play, but it's easy to see that even rote repetition depends on an IDEAL form of a REAL action (because only when the child has an ideal form of the action in mind can the child generate endless copies).

Now we might think that role play simply arises from a generalized perception: the roles the child creates are simply ideal copies of the actual people that the child sees. I think in some forms of role play this is probably true. Here in Korea preschoolers often do social-realist role plays like "Hospital" and "School" as well as "House", but I have a student who lived above a butcher shop when she was a little girl and she was very surprised when she moved to another neighborhood where the children did not know how to play "Butcher Shop".

But this social-realist idea of role play arising in generalized perceptions doesn't really explain the existence, much less the great popularity, of role plays involving war, or space travel, or magic in somewhat older children.

So it seems to me that role play games have another root, namely the selection and abstraction, yea, the essentialization, of the actor from the action. We see this quite clearly in role-based games: turn taking is essentially a matter of repeating the action but varying the actor.

Lois draws attention to the important distinction between rules that arise in the course of play, rules that are created by the children themselves, and rules that are imposed from the outset. Vygotsky takes this from Piaget's "Moral Judgement in the Child" (the marbles book). Piaget uses it as an example of "moral realism" (the confusion of man-made and natural laws, as when a child thinks that the rule against playing with matches is the same as the law that makes it impossible to reignite a burnt match).

Vygotsky, in contrast, uses it as Lois does, as a way of showing how rules are both the tool and the result of play, and that because children can see for themselves that rules which as the consequence of behavior then become the causes and conditions of subsequent behavior, they have exactly the opposite effect; they reliably inform the child of the social, and potentially alterable, nature of rule-governed activity .

I guess that's why I see vibration, but not contradiction. It seems to me that the twin "essences" that Vygotsky is proposing, the imaginary situation and the abstract rule, are inversely proportional over the course of development, and that as a result Wittgenstein is really right; there is no single common essence, but only a chain of development.

Sometimes I think we unnecessarily get our knickers in a knot because we imagine that setting up a hierarchy based on some essential characteristic (e.g. chair, seat, furniture) is somehow different, and hierarchical, and inherently less democratic than having some grouping based on everyday perception or family grouping, or simple subjective whim.

I think Vygotsky, and probably Wittgenstein too, would answer that it is just as silly to use an everyday concept in a scientific situation as it is to use a science concept in an everyday one. It's wrong to expect a three year old to play chess, and it's wrong to expect teenagers to play "House".

An academic hierarchy of concepts is not necessarily hierarchical, in a political, economic, or social sense, any more than an essential concept is somehow more necessary. Concept formation is really just another kind of language game.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education

The importance is precisely developmental: in one case we have rules governing utterly

 The ability to generalize the action of shooting bad guys
 allows the child to select and generalize  while roles involve an ideal