Re: [xmca] Imitation and the Zoped: Time to summarize?

Hi Mike and Andy

The suggestion to grapple with the notion of zopeds or the ZPD is relevant
to school discussions or narratives because it is becoming a common sense or
folk psychological term [in school settings] for explaining reasons for
actions.  Andy, I hope others elaborate on your question about CENTRAL lines
of development. At this moment I want to add two other questions that I
wonder about in trying to understand zopeds.

Daniel D. Hutto in an article in the journal "Philosophical Explorations"
[2008, Vol. 11, p.175-192] titled "The Narrative Practice Hypothesis:
Clarifications and Implications" quotes Ryle [1949] to develop his notion
that folk psychology [giving reasons for actions] is a practical skill and
not a theory of mind.

Ryle stated,

"Learning how or improving in ability is not like learning "that" or
acquiring information. Truth can be imparted, procedures can only be
inculcated, and while inculcation is a gradual process, imparting is
relatively sudden.  It makes sense to ask at what moment someone became
apprised of a truth but not to ask at what moment someone acquired skill."
[cited in Hutto, p.185]

When reflecting on notions of ZPD and the activities encountered in schools
are these distinctions sometimes confused?

My second question has to do with two contrasting metaphors of zopeds -
zopeds as scaffolding and zopeds as dialogue.  Hutto's article contrasting
2nd person and 3rd person accounts of folk psychology seems relevant to
discussions of scaffolding and dialogues.
The dominant cognitive models to explain our capacity for folk psychological
explanations of reasons for actions are Theory of Mind [theory theory] and
simulation theory [self-reflective referencing]  Hutto suggests BOTH these
theories explain how we make 3rd person SPECULATIONS about the contents of
other minds. Hutto emphasizes that 3rd personal mindreading accounts do not
account for how folk psychological competence [as practice] is regularly
deployed in 2nd person contexts.  Hutto suggests that 3rd person accounts
are socioculturally acquired abilities to produce and interpret folk
psychology narratives. [giving and receiving reasons for actions in 3rd
person speculative contexts] This competence is a "guessing" skill in
imagining what another person is thinking.

Hutto then contrasts this 3rd person socioculturally acquired competence
with 2nd person contexts.  He states,

"It is important to note that situations calling  for third-person
speculations are quite unlike 2nd personal contexts in which the other
supplies  details of their reasons for acting DIRECTLY IN DIALOGUE (usually
spinning out an extended narrative IN RESPONSE to prompts and questions). It
is because such on-line interaction is PRECLUDED in cases of third-person
speculation that we must construct the relevant narratives for others by
enlisting ADDITIONAL RESOURCES - resources that allow us to "inform" our
productive FP-competence." (p.184)

The two questions stated above [practice/truth] and [2nd person-3rd person]
seem relevant to the scaffold-dialogue contrasts in metaphorical
explanations of zopeds.  I intuitively sense that school settings are biased
to 3rd person relational contexts [scaffolding] whereas preschool play
settings emphasize "imaginal" dialogical 2nd person contexts.  Is it
possible to maintain an emphasis on 2nd person contexts in the later or
"higher" contexts of central lines of development?  As one possible example,
creating a zoped for 12 year old girls where they imaginatively write
personal "imaginative" stories as contexts to "find" "discover" or "enact"
their VOICE [as metaphor] in school settings.

Larry