Re: [xmca] Wearing out truth

That was exactly the same explanation that struck me, David.

Not long ago I was trying hard to replicate some very influential work that
is part of the cultural style
literature and could not... and this was a two year effort with many tries.
Nothing but a very costly
waste of time.

Then  a new, young faculty member in psych who had worked with one of the
renown authors of this work said that in grade school he had been part of a
study like the one we were running and they could not
replicate the basic findings that everyone cited. So what did they do? Put
the results in the drawer and walk away. But the "its a known fact"
character of the claims is all over textbooks and "common sense"
now in that field.

Isn't it nice to know that evidence-based research is so rational and
objective? Very reassuring. :-))
(Ooops, one should not use irony in email without signaling its use and
smile may not work) So a
Disclaimer. The sentence at the start of this paragraph is intended as
irony.

Nice letter.

mike