[xmca] Imitation and Creativity

Final examinations are always a little chastening--for all concerned. One by one the students have to get up and teach for about fifteen minutes, with the rest of us role playing third, fourth, fifth or sixth graders (and me playing an obstreperous little boy called Seokdae, who is always first with the wrong answer).

It's traumatic for the kids because of course it's a final exam. But it's traumatic for me too, because many of my students learn to teach by imitation. Some of what I see I do recognize rather too well, and I  some of what I recognize I do not particularly like.

a) I babble constantly when I teach. I get attention with very STRONG down intonation, I give information with a kind of exaggerated UP on the theme and DOWN on the rheme, and I always check with simple wh-questions that are upwardly intoned (e.g. "Who?")

b) I never look at what I am actually writing on the whiteboard (because I am talking to the class while I am doing it) so the result is something that looks a little like action painting, not exactly symbolic or even indexical (I have seen students in the back row trying to copy it into their notebooks).

c) I tend to "rush" activities, because of course my role is to present and critique them, not to actually do them. For example, I tend to set up pairs of students to do a role play or a game and then just as they start doing it, I stop and move on to the next point on the agenda. And unfortunately some of my students do the same kind of thing.

Vygotsky DOES say that "imitation" provides the practical content of the "next zone of development" or the "proximal zone of development". But of course he adds the rider that this is "imitation in the broadest sense", just as when he talks about whether play fulfills the needs of a child he demands that we interpret "need" as whatever motivates the child to activity, and the question of whether play fullfills the child's needs simply vanishes.

So for example Vygotsky says that when the child is doing a homework problem at his desk in his bedroom by remembering an example that the teacher did at the chalk board the previous day, the child is imitating. Similarly, the children in Josefina Schif's MA thesis work are imitating when they get HIGHER scores on test items involving completing sentences using concepts such as the dictatorship of the proletariat, revolution, civil war, and the construction of a planned economy than on test items involving why Kolya fell off his bicycle.

The problem I have with BOTH of these examples is really the SAME problem I have with the physiological approach to psychology: where does NEW knowledge come from? Specifically, where does CREATIVE imitation come from? More specifically still, how do I get the kids to use SOME of what I do in class, but to use it better than I can?

It seems to me that it does not come, exclusively or even essentially, from any untapped potential somewhere in the brain tissue, nor from any outward assistance in the sociocultural environment. Sometimes it does not come at all.

But when it does come, it comes from the conscious realization that imitation is always imperfect. At first this imperfection in the imitation is non-deliberate, but with conscious realization it can become quite intentional.

Creativity is, then, nothing less than deliberate, intentional, VOLITIONAL error. But perhaps it is an error to say that it is nothing MORE than this, because ultimately the model being imitated can itself be criticized and recreated in a new and different way.

Of course it is true (and it is trite) to say that something is going on in the brain tissue when my students become aware that they are not imitating correctly and when they realize that not everything I do is worth imitating. There is also something going on in the eyes and the ears and muscle tissues as well, and not all of it is irrelevant to the issue of imitation or even to the issue of the deliberate mastery of error.

Similarly, it is true (and trite) to say that imitation is socially and culturally reproductive, and that a system of education that is founded on imitating models and punishing errors cannot ever lead to any form of social progress. That assumes that imitation is perfect, and the punishment is an effective deterrent to every form of creativity, from unconscious to critical to deliberate and destructive creativity.

Not so. The critical, nay, TRAUMATIC moment of every final examination I give is when I find an error that I find worth imitating and can show it to the class. One thing almost everybody does during finals is that when they have to use a very long sentence (e.g. "The student who has the most cards will win the game") they use a COUNTING intonation, counting out the words with a rising intonation on each word except the last.

I used to punish this severely, because I recognized that it was an imitation of a sentence that I have used and should NOT use (it is not elementary school English at all). But I now realize that it's quite a normal response to a new grammatical structure, and it does clearly show both the speaker and the hearer that all the parts (articles, prepositions, and even verb inflections) are present and accounted for. It's not good intonation; but it's the groundwork for it; it is the student letting go of my intonation in order to get a good grip on my grammar.

Salman Rushdie asks, in the "Satanic Verses", how newness comes into this old world. I think the answer is right there in his book (and also, on a good day and no thanks to me, in my class). Mistakes are not always a mistake.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education