Re: [xmca] Someone Has to Fail: The Zero-Sum Game of Public Schooling

Well Patrick, Engels wrote in 1875: "The whole Darwinian theory of the struggle for existence is simply the transference from society to animate nature of Hobbes’ theory of the war of every man against every man and the bourgeois economic theory of competition, along with the Malthusian theory of population." In short, all the elements of Darwin's theory originated in liberal social theory and were /then/ discovered to be "in Nature" which /then/ of course ever after provided "proof" of its validity in the social sphere. In our atheistic society, something which exists in Nature is equivalent to the doctrine of Original Sin. One could just as well have discovered in Nature the natural basis for Kropotkin's Cooperative Society with no change to the substance of Darwin's theory.

Nonetheless, I think it is pretty firmly established that with or without a good public education system, bourgeois society is a self-reproducing process and quite profound social struggle is required to make an impact on inequality. The early promoters of public education held out great hopes for pubic education as a measure which would mitigate inequality. (See Marx's speech to the First International on
Education:
http://www.marxists.org/history/international/iwma/documents/1869/education-speech.htm)

I think there has been in most countries a definite measure of success in public education mitigating inequality. But it is also obvious that the power and privilege held by sectors of bourgeois society is exercised for the purpose of maintaining that power and privilege, and public education cannot reshuffle the pack in the way we were once told
it could. I think a new strategy is needed.

For example, the strategy - "your share of the social wealth is proportional to the value of your work" ; "the value of your work depends on your level of skill" ; "skills can be imparted equally if access to the public education system is equal" ; therefore "equal access to public education leads to social equality" - is flawed and can no longer promote *further* equality (I mean a good public education system does and will continue to promote equality, but it cannot do more in the absence of social transformation outside the school).

I was raising the possibility of instead of putting energy into giving kids who are going to be excluded from high paid and rewarding professional jobs skills, we could put some energy into promoting skills which are not meant for the purpose of getting into high paid professional jobs, but concentrating on skills such as appreciating the culture, learning how to fight politically, and how to lead a good life.

Seriously. But I don't know. I'd like to hear people's critique of this.

Andy

Patrick Jaki wrote:
Sounds like Darwins process of natural selection.