Re: [xmca] Why Is Performance Art

I guess I think the answer is that artistic concepts are really just like other concepts. And that to me suggests three things:

a) There are probably artistic preconcepts, including "complexes" and "syncretic heaps". Naturally, I feel that the former, being objective, are much closer to artistic concepts than the latter which are based on subjective whims,

b) The true artistic concept cannot be transferred from one head to another any more than a scientific concept can, but that does not mean it cannot be shared. Naturally, I feel the more objective an artistic structure of feeling (a concept or preconcept) is, the easier it is to share and make it conceptual but....

c) I cannot say (any longer) that one mode of sharing (painting, writing, performance) is more preconceptual than another, because all modes of sharing are simply affordances for meaning and meanings can be detached from modes by the use of language. Naturally, I feel a preference for language. But that is only because human languages are neutral; they are capable of expressing any human meaning, given time enough and space (though of course some languages have evolved to be more economical with some meanings than others, just as humans usually develop ontogenetically to be more economical in their first language than their second).

(Kate Hers [Bak Geumyeong], who is a performance artist now living in Berlin who used to be based here in Seoul, expressed this very well in a painting she did using Korean Hanggeul to encode a message in English lexicogrammar, and then English letters to encode the same message in Korean lexicogrammar. Although most of her stuff is pretty grim, this one was interestingly universal: any writing system can be used to express any human sound, more or less...and the same is also true of meaning.)

That very neutrality, that very mutability, makes it possible for language to digest and also to regurgitate meanings from other modes, including performance. Before Sunday, I thought that performance is not a very economical mode of art for the meanings that I was interested in (I guess because I think it has to distinguish itself from drama through a process of destroying context and story much as abstract expressionist painting has sought to destroy content and referentiality). But now I think it is merely a mode that I am not good at, and about which I would like to know more.

Sixteen years ago, Shu Yang and I had a joint exhibition with the German painter Wolfgang in der Wiesche at Jiaotong University. It was Shu Yang's idea; he was working on a book about urban development, and all of our work was urban themed in one way or another (I remember I did a painting of downtown Xi'an overrun by marauding sloth bears and sloth bears overthrown by stolen man-hole covers, but nobody got the joke).

At the exit of the exhibition we had a very long primed canvas and a set of brushes, and exhibition goers were invited to continue the exhibition on their way out. The male male engineering students painted flowers and grass, and the girls from the education department added small rabbits and birds. Then the fine arts students arrived and painted OVER the flowers and grass and rabbits and birds--in BLACK. Wolfgang was fit to be tied: ("Ve know--aggressif painting is possible. But VHY???? Zis ve don't know and zis you don't tell us.") In some ways, I think Shu Yang is still trying to find out what was under that black paint. Alas, aggressive art is always possible.

Seong Neungyeong, the Korean performance artist with the pingpong balls, didn't just masturbate. In fact that part of the performance didn't really come off very well, because his anatomy wouldn't fully cooperate, so he kind of played with himself for a while and then bellowed "I masturbate, therefore I am". When he finally put away the unreliable protuberance, I almost expected him to stop existing.

He opened and closed a large plastic umbrella, he recited a poem of nonsense syllables, numbers and Korean street slang, he burned a fan, he fed people peppermint candies, he draped a large curtain over the audience, he blew a pingpong ball onto a silk handkerchief, and at one point he actually forgot what he was supposed to do next.

The failure of his memory was even less surprising than the failure of his other organ. After all, his performance was a random chain; there wasn't any way in which each part of the performance determined or even led to the next part, there was no development and no cumulation of any kind. It was only a syncretic heap of performances; a string of actions linked by a single actor.

Shu Yang's performance, on the other hand, was really a good example of func-metho-dva-stym. It was an exercise in reconstructing the formation of signs, phylogenetically and sociogenetically as well as ontogenetically and microgenetically. He used red as a mere mark and then invited ONE person to interpret it. That person interpreted it in a way that made us see it as a sign, then added another sign. The resulting "chain" of signs was really a conversation, no different in principle from what we do here on xmca.

It was only when the performance ended (despite the disruption of Seong Neungyeong) that we saw there really was a clear and unforgettable concept, running, like a red thread, through all of the signs: they all had something to do with the unbearableness of suffering and the shareability that makes it bearable after all.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education