From: Adele Diamond <Adele.Diamond@ubc.ca>
Date: Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 11:11 AM
Subject: [COGDEVSOC] Looking for Amazing University Grads to help us do
Research to Improve Children's Lives
To: cogdevsoc@list.mail.virginia.edu

*Seeking a few Amazing People to help us do Research to Improve Children’s
Lives*
<<...>>
We have applied for funding to test promising early interventions with
children and youths to do what is so crucially needed -  to help prevent
disorders of* executive functions* before they develop.

Throughout human history, across* all* cultures,* storytelling & dance* have
been part of the human condition.  I hypothesize that the dearth of these in
many children’s experience today may be one of the reasons children’s
executive functions are apparently worse now than in the past.

Info on one of the studies we hope to conduct :
There’s considerable evidence that* physical exercise* improves how the
brain and mind work (especially prefrontal cortex and executive functions).
I think communal dance will confer even more benefit to prefrontal cortex
and executive functions because it requires exercising executive functions
(and exercising them has been shown to improve them) and brings joy and a
sense of social inclusion (both of which are beneficial for prefrontal
cortex and executive functions). Indeed, studies with older adults have
found that the ‘dancing makes you smarter’
(Kattenstroth<http://frontiersin.org/neuroscience/profiles/Jan-ChristophKattenstroth/>et
al., 2010) and reduces the risk of dementia by a whopping 76% (more
than
any other activity studied, including reading, crossword puzzles, or other
physical activity).  We want to compare the efficacy of aerobics versus
resistance training versus the type of salsa known as Rueda in improving
executive functions, academic achievement, self-image, and physical fitness
in 8th graders, with one- and two-year follow-up.

We are looking for a few AMAZING people to work with us, such as Honors or
Phi Beta Kappa university graduates.  People who are

    - experienced in doing experimental psychological research and/or
         administering standardized measures to children
         - able to grasp things quickly & able to learn with minimal
         instruction
         - terrific with children and youth -- both typically-developing and
         those with diagnoses of anything from ADHD to autism
         - incredibly organized & resourceful
         - cheerful & upbeat
         - *very* detail-oriented; able to stay on top of many details
         simultaneously
         - committed to making a difference in children’s lives
         - willing to commit at least 2 years to the project

Check out our lab website:*****
**www.devcogneuro.com***<http://www.devcogneuro.com>
**********
We are in gorgeous Vancouver, BC at UBC.

Position could start in Summer 2011, 2012, or 2013.

We don’t know if we’ll receive funding, but by the time we hear many of the
best people will already have committed themselves for the next academic
year.

So please keep us in mind.

To be considered, should we receive funding, please email:

    - a cover letter talking about your interests and background
         - your resume or CV
         - and please arrange for 3 letters of reference to be sent to:

email: *** ****info@devcogneuro.com*** <%20info@devcogneuro.com>**

thanks so much,

*Adele Diamond*

Canada Research Chair Tier 1 Professor of Developmental Cognitive
Neuroscience
        Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia (UBC), &

        Division of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, BC Children's Hospital,
Vancouver