Re: [xmca] Co-evolution

David,

One gets so accustomed to LSV insisting that two processes are neither identical nor independent but must be considered to have a complex and changing relationship that it is rather startling to find him saying that biological evolution and historical cultural change are independent - that the second starts only once the first has ended.

But this is indeed what he writes in HDHMF. His overall point in this opening chapter is that psychologists have either ignored one process, or reduced one to the other, or treated them as independent in ontogenesis, when he wants to insist that in human ontogenesis they are uniquely woven together.

I think he is wrong on the first point, and that we now have evidence that biological evolution has continued as historical cultural change has taken place, and perhaps has even accelerated. But if anything this evidence actually strengthens the case he was making about ontogenesis. If evolution and history are woven together in phylogenesis, surely they are woven together in ontogenesis.

Martin