Re: [xmca] Piaget on Within-Stage Variability

Larry, I am surprised you say "The empirical sciences put 'true' concepts as the HIGHEST value." I don't know what you mean by "empirical sciences" but for *analytical* science, what Vygotsky called "pseudoconcept" is the *only* kind of concept. I have always taken this to be what is behind Valsiner's view.
Andy
Larry Purss wrote:
Mike,
On a similar topic, I  continue to reflect on Valsiner's perspective that
the level of "pseudoconcepts" [externally mediated and not systematic] are a
fundamental and central  level of cognitive processing for most
interactivity in the life world.   Thinking with "true" concepts may be a
specialized form of cognition which is "valued" in particular academic
institutions [and also particular work places] but by calling it "higher"
[geographical metaphor]  gives "true" [really real] concepts a privileged
"value" description of "better" as a way to judge or evaluate a particular
historically developed form of cognition which is very USEFUL, but is it the
apex of development?

I wonder if there is a tension between "true" concepts and the notion of
"attunement" or primary sensorimotor coordination of interactivity.  Throw
in Herbert Clark's pointing out how institutional structures mediate
interactivity [independently of my personal "intentions"] and "true" higher
concepts seems to be one among a variety of ways of coordinating
interactivity.

The empirical sciences put "true" concepts as the HIGHEST value but this may
be a NORMATIVE value which expresses a particular "tradition" or framework
or horizon of understanding.  By valuing "systematic" ways of cognizing as
"higher" are we de-valuing other ways of cognizing that may be as "adaptive"
in particular contexts [as INTERweaving] but not so systematic.
[Moscovici's theory of "social" representations of cognition as "poly"
contrasting with Durkheim's theory of "collective" representations]

The earlier discussion on the place of "metaphor" in our theory of cognition
is an example of a form of cognizing that is NOT systematic but is it
therefore a "lower" form of cognizing.  Metaphor's power may be in its power
to disrupt "systematic" thinking by introducing novel linkages between
ideas.  EMERGENCE may also be in tension with "true" concepts [which
systematize]

I may be showing my misunderstanding of the shared understandings of the
vocabulary as understood on CHAT as I eclectically move between conceptual
systems, and if my thoughts are muddled, I find this topic is fraught with
potholes as I try to navigate my way through.

I don't have answers to these musings but the questions leave me wondering

Larry