Re: [xmca] return of culture of poverty

here is an excellent documentary of an undercover expose of skid row in LA
http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/skid_row/

eric

From:   mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com>
To:     Lois Holzman <lholzman@eastsideinstitute.org>
Cc:     "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date:   11/09/2010 09:32 AM
Subject:        Re: [xmca] return of culture of poverty
Sent by:        xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu

Hi Lois-- This thread seems to touched a common concern. I have been
interested in revisiting the COP idea and even mad a pdf of the Lewis
article from *Scientific America*n that is one touch stone in the
discussion. Richard Valencia has published a new book,*Dimantling
Contemporary Deficit Thinking*, which has an interesting description of
both
the earlier work and Ruby Payne's widely disseminated views and curriculum
training.
       I think its too early to reach firm conclusions about what is going
on. Seems that Bruce Robinson, Andy, and others are ahead of us in
thinking
about that question.
mike

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Lois Holzman
<lholzman@eastsideinstitute.org

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/patricia_cohen/index.html?inline=nyt-per

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/daniel_patrick_moynihan/index.html?inline=nyt-per

http://www.blacksacademy.net/content/3253.html

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/bill_clinton/index.html?inline=nyt-per

> >signed
>
> a bill in 1996 “ending welfare as we know it.” But in the
> overwhelmingly liberal ranks of academic sociology and anthropology the
> word
> “culture” became a live grenade, and the idea that attitudes and
behavior
> patterns kept people poor was shunned.
>
> Now, after decades of silence, these scholars are speaking openly about
> you-know-what, conceding that culture and persistent poverty are
enmeshed.

> “We’ve finally reached the stage where people aren’t afraid of being
> politically incorrect,” said Douglas S. Massey, a sociologist at
Princeton
> who has argued <http://ann.sagepub.com/content/621/1.toc> that Moynihan
> was
>
> unfairly maligned.
>
> The old debate has shaped the new. Last month Princeton and the
Brookings

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/b/brookings_institution/index.html?inline=nyt-org

http://futureofchildren.org/futureofchildren/publications/journals/journal_details/index.xml?journalid=73

> >on
>
> unmarried parents, a subject, it noted, that became off-limits after
> the
> Moynihan report. At the recent annual meeting of the American
Sociological

http://www.aapss.org/news/2010/06/18/reconsidering-culture-and-poverty-a-congressional-briefing

> >on
>
> culture and poverty linked to a special issue
> of The Annals <http://ann.sagepub.com/content/629/1/6.full.pdf+html>,
the

> journal of the American Academy of Political and Social
> Science<http://www.aapss.org/>.
>

> “Culture is back on the poverty research agenda,” the introduction
> declares,
> acknowledging that it should never have been removed.
>
> The topic has generated interest on Capitol Hill because so much of the
> research intersects with policy debates. Views of the cultural roots of
> poverty “play important roles in shaping how lawmakers choose to address
> poverty issues,” Representative Lynn Woolsey, Democrat of California,
noted
> at the briefing.
>
> This surge of academic research also comes as the percentage of
Americans

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/17/us/17poverty.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=eric%20eckholm%20poverty&st=cse

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/h/harvard_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org

> >,
> culture is best understood as “shared understandings.”
>
> “I study inequality, and the dominant focus is on structures of
poverty,”
> he
> said. But he added that the reason a neighborhood turns into a “poverty
> trap” is also related to a common perception of the way people in a
> community act and think. When people see graffiti and garbage, do they
find
> it acceptable or see serious disorder? Do they respect the legal system
or
> have a high level of “moral cynicism,” believing that “laws were made to
be
> broken”?
>
> As part of a large research project in Chicago, Professor Sampson walked
> through different neighborhoods this summer, dropping stamped, addressed
> envelopes to see how many people would pick up an apparently lost letter
> and
> mail it, a sign that looking out for others is part of the community’s
> culture.
>
> In some neighborhoods, like Grand Boulevard, where the notorious Robert
> Taylor public housing projects once stood, almost no envelopes were
mailed;
> in others researchers received more than half of the letters back.
Income

—

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/w/william_julius_wilson/index.html?inline=nyt-per

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/u/university_of_chicago/index.html?inline=nyt-org

http://home.uchicago.edu/%7Emariosmall/documents/UG_Chapter1.pdf
> >the
>
> answer did not depend on income or ethnicity, but rather the rules of
> the day-care institution. Centers that held frequent field trips,
organized
> parents’ associations and had pick-up and drop-off procedures created
more
> opportunities for parents to connect.
>
> Younger academics like Professor Small, 35, attributed the upswing in
> cultural explanations to a “new generation of scholars without the
baggage
> of that debate.”
>
> Scholars like Professor Wilson, 74, who have tilled the field much
longer,
> mentioned the development of more sophisticated data and analytical
tools.
> He said he felt compelled to look more closely at culture after the
> publication of Charles Murray and Richard Herrnstein’s controversial
1994
> book, “The Bell Curve,” which attributed African-Americans’ lower I.Q.
> scores to genetics.
>
> The authors claimed to have taken family background into account,
Professor

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/o/barack_obama/index.html?inline=nyt-per