Re: [xmca] dialogue on future of Vygotsky studies

Dear Andy and CHAT family,
I guess the mechanics will be determined by the willing participants. I
would love to have a "side bar" google group discussion that could  expand
up to 5,000 words, in a dialogue format wherein each participant contributes
one or two paragraphs at a time.

I am also proposing that this serve as an exploratory overview or beginning
of a newly edited volume of 10-12 essays. Correct me if I am wrong, but  I
know of no other similar work since
Harry Daniels (1993) collected and edited *Charting the Agenda: Educational
Activity After Vygotsky.*

What do you think?
*RL*

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 9:40 PM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> [...]
>>> "tag",
>>> where the loser of a particular bout becomes the "hero" of the next bout.
>>>
>>> The "diffuse complex" is, as Vygotsky says, a result of the limitless
>>> diffusion of characteristics we see in imaginative tales.
>>>
>>> It's really only the pseudocomplex that is metaphorical rather than
>>> metonymic, because the child's word "stands for" a thinking process that
>>> is
>>> quite different, but given the exactly the same name. Of course, it is a
>>> metaphor-in-itself rather than a metaphor-for-others or a
>>> metaphor-for-myself (that is to say, nobody except maybe Vygotsky
>>> actually
>>> KNOWS that the child's pseudocomplex is a metaphor for the adult
>>> concept).
>>>
>>> In order to become a metaphor-for-myself, I have to abstract away all the
>>> features that make the metaphor work and resynthesize them as a concept.
>>> But
>>> of course a metaphor for a concept is not a metaphor: it's the concept
>>> itself, for a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
>>>
>>> David Kellogg
>>> Seoul National University of Education
>>>
>>> --- On Mon, 11/1/10, ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org <ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> From: ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org <ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [xmca] Simile, Metaphor and the Graspture of Conscious
>>> Awareness
>>> To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
>>> Date: Monday, November 1, 2010, 11:45 AM
>>>

>>> Hello all:
>>>
>>> This is such an interesting stream that has flowed into the different
>>> tributaries of a delta and then joined again as it has emptied into the
>>> vast ocean of communal knowledge.
>>>
>>> I do not have the linguistic knowledge to offer much in research based
>>> efforts of understanding the development of metaphorical knowledge.  What
>>> I can offer is my observational data of working with severely mentally
>>> ill
>>> young adults.  Many do not grasp metaphorical speech and can become very
>>> agitated if a person continues on with a metaphor that has not been
>>> understood.  This explains why so many people who suffer mental health
>>> issues are unsuccessful in the academic world.
>>>
>>> my two cents for a million dollar topic
>>> eric
>>>

>>> From:   Robert Lake <boblake@georgiasouthern.edu>
>>> To:     Vera John-Steiner <vygotsky@unm.edu>, "eXtended Mind, Culture,
>>> Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
>>> Date:   11/01/2010 01:04 PM
>>> Subject:        Re: [xmca] Simile, Metaphor and the Graspture of
>>> Conscious
>>> Awareness
>>> Sent by:        xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
>>>

>>> Hi Vera,
>>> The *Journal of Aesthetic Education* is interested in publishing it  and
>>> *
>>> Francine** *Smolucha says she is writing it.

>>> Phone: (912) 478-5125