Re: [xmca] Common ground as the coordination of MARKED activity

I'll mark those words, Larry!  :-)

At first i was put in mind of the notion of "inscription" by your note. Then
I began to
broaden out my idea of what you were talking about as you go through the
examples.

>From the example, it seems that MARKING can take a lot of different forms.
At some
point it seems useful to marking to overlap inscription a lot, but at
earlier ages and in
different circumstances, i am not sure of what can constitute  an
action-that-marks or perhaps an
action-that-is-marked.

At what age do you think marking begins, Larry? Does it, like word meaning,
develop?
I figure your answer would be yes in general, but in particular, could one
trace out through these
different thinkers an ontogeny of marking? Would it be an ontogeny of
signification?

Figuring out the "joint" of joint mediated activity seems to be one task
around which many are
organizing their efforts, whatever their particular phenomena and associated
languages.

mike