Re: [xmca] Pragmatism's Advantage

Unfortunately I know nothing of Friere, but this is surely something that has to be addressed! There are several people on this list who are Friere experts, perhaps they can help.

But what you comment on re the reading of Hegel is quite correct. In his very early manuscripts Hegel talks about how the universal is constructed. This is two things at once: (1) the construction of a material culture (land, domestic animals, tools, words, ...) and (2) the acquisition of concepts by individuals who use them. EG he said "the tool is the norm of labour" (f Engestrom who has tools /and/ norms!) and "Word - the tool of reason"

After about 1805 he stops talking like this. But it is implicit in his idea of Spirit, which dates from 1805. Also, Herder was teaching at Jena until he died in 1808, and Hegel would have known about this from Herder, but he never gave Herder any credit.

Andy

Tony Whitson wrote:
This being my semester teaching undergraduates, I have not had time for following this list.

I did catch this post from Andy, though, which for me is quite exciting and provocative.

Andy: > How do you read Hegel? What do you make of Spirit? and so on. My answer is
"Activity." Read this way Hegel makes perfect sense.

Me: If the _formation_ of Geist be understood as the the formation of semiosically _in*formed_ activity, this (it seems to me) goes a long way toward a synlexic framing of not only Marx and Hegel, but also Peirce, Mead, LSV, and activity theory. Am I taking this too far?

I am making my first toddler steps toward reading Freire in the Portuguese (well, at least "reading" it side-by-side with the English). While I intend to be alert to differences among the discourses, what I am seeing at the outset is a Freirean discourse clearly informed by Hegel, but also strikingly compatible with my own Peircean proclivities.

What do you think?